Guest Designer: Scorpio Uzuh
Size: 8in x 6in (without shoulder strap)
Be sure to also check out our interview with Scorpio Uzu here.
This is a man’s world…well that’s what they tell us! Yet, somehow, I can’t find a decent pattern for an accessory bag that is both stylish, that is NOT a tote bag and something I can carry most of my essential notions in. So, I just decided to make one of my own. Keep in mind this is my first time constructing one, and I self-drafted the whole thing! Enjoy the process!
Materials and Tools:
- OLFA 60mm RTY-3/DX Ergonomic Rotary Cutter
- OLFA RM-SG 18" X 24" Green Double-Sided, Self-Healing Rotary Mat
- OLFA QR-12S 12 1/2" Square Frosted Acrylic Ruler
- Guggenheim Cutting Scissors
- Sewing pins
- French Curve Ruler
- BERNINA B735 Sewing Machine
- BERNINA L860 Serger Machine
- Coordinating thread (Mettler, Gutterman***)
- Leather Needle
- Zipper Foot
- 5yds - Stretch Leather Fabric (or fabric of your choice)
- 1/2yd - Cotton Fabric*** for lining (optional)
- 5in Pocket Zipper
- 12in+ Closed Zipper
- Cut (5) rectangles out of the leather fabric and (1) rectangle of the lining fabric measuring 8” x 6” using the OLFA rotary cutter. To make it easier to keep up what each rectangle would be used for, I labeled each accordingly:
- (1) - Zipper Pocket (Front Piece)
- (1) - Back Piece
- (1) - Pocket Bag*** (Lining Fabric)
- (1) - Outside Pocket
- (2) - Inside Pocket
Assembling Front Piece
- Outline and cut welt pocket box on zipper pocket rectangle.
Assembling Main Zipper
- Place zipper in box, stitch around pocket box securing the zipper and being careful not to catch ends of front or back pieces.
Assembling Shoulder Strap
- With right sides facing, stitch the 2 pieces for the shoulder strap together, serge, then turn them right side out and top stitch.
Assembling Back Piece
- In this order: Place wrong side of outside pocket to right side of back piece, then place inside pocket on top of back piece, wrong sides facing.
Be sure to check out our interview with Scorpio Uzu here.