Sending Sunshine "Instant Photo" Greeting Card
Designer: Marcia Izabel Marchiori
YouTube: MarciaBel Vlog
Summer is here and it's time to celebrate! What better way to do that than with a handmade card with a beach & coastal theme?
In this tutorial, you will learn how to create a beautiful and unique greeting card to send to your loved ones, creating a memorable card that captures the essence of summertime.
Whether you're new to crafting or a seasoned DIY enthusiast, this project is perfect for anyone who wants to add a personal touch to their greetings this summer.
So let's get started!
Tools & Supplies Needed
- OLFA FCM-12x17 12" X 17" Folding Cutting Mat
- OLFA QR-6x12 6" X 12" Frosted Acrylic Ruler
- OLFA AK-4 Cushion Grip Art Knife, paired with OLFA KB4-R/5 Curved Carving Art Blade, 5pk
- OLFA AK-5 Designer Graphic Art Knife With 30 Replacement Blades (we’ll use the tapered base side of the handle, for scoring)
- OLFA 45mm RTY-2/DX Ergonomic Rotary Cutter paired with WAB45-1 Stainless Steel Wave Blade, 1pk
- OLFA CMP-1 Compass Circle Cutter
- Cardstock (in the following colors: 2 shades of light blue, medium blue, 2 shades of beige for sand, red, light pink)
- Printing paper (for templates)
- Kraft paper letter size, 1 sheet
- Felt (orange, enough to make sun shape)
- Buttons (one 1” yellow, and one mini button for ball embellishment)
- Therm O Web iCraft 3D Foam Tape
- Thermo O Web iCraft Memory adhesive tape runner
- Therm O Web Zots adhesive dots (I used large, and 3D for sun)
- Therm O Web Heat n Bond interface (enough to make sun shape)
- Bakers twine (app. 10”)
- Print template to scale. Gather all tools and materials.
- Using the OLFA ruler to guide, score Kraft paper in half horizontally using the tapered base of the OLFA AK-5 Art Knife handle, then fold sheet and cut a 4 1/2” x 6 1/2” card out of it, using AK-4 art knife.
- "Instant photo" template: first, cut dashed lines (which should be the same size of the front of the card, 4 1/2” x 6 1/2”), then carefully cut the window (this will be your final "instant photo" in the front of card).
Using the dashed lines rectangle as a template, sketch and cut a window out of the front card. After that, finish cutting the “instant photo” and discard the rectangle of this template.
- Using templates, cut all of the layers of the beach scenery with your OLFA AK-4 with Curved Carving Art Blade.
- Cut small rectangles out of felt and interface, iron them together. Although we don’t plan on ironing the sun shape directly to the card (we’ll glue them to it), this technique is used when the felt shapes are too tiny, this way you avoid the felt from fraying.
With a pencil or pen, draw the templates on the interface paper. With the AK-4 knife and curved blade or scissors, cut out all the sun shape.
- Next, using some sort of adhesive (I used Thermo O Web Zots), attach 1” yellow button to sun ray shape (orange felt)
- Beach Ball: Using OLFA CMP-1 Compass Circle Cutter and AK-4 with Curved Carving Art Blade, cut ball shapes according to templates:
- Waves: draw a 1/4” line from the edges with a pencil as a guide to cut the waves. Using OLFA Rotary Cutter paired with Wave Blade, cut a straight line on both edges (layers 3 and 4 of templates).
- Adhere a string of bakers twine to the back of instant photo shape, then make a bow with this same string in the front of it:
- Surround the back of photo window with foam tape to give some dimension to the card. Adhere it to the front.
- Using a 3D dot or foam tape, adhere sun to “instant photo” shape as shown below:
And your cheerful card is ready! :-)
Don’t forget to tag me @marciabel and @OLFA_craft in your finished cards, we would love to see your creations!