Getting Started with Aurifil Threads
We are teaming up with Aurifil over the coming months to bring you a series answering some of their most popular questions.
– Aurifil’s primary threads are made from 100% cotton sourced from the Mako region of Egypt, produced and manufactured near Milan, Italy.
– There are five different weights of cotton 2 ply, one cotton 3 ply, and one 6 strand divisible cotton floss.
– Aurifil threads are generally available on small spools, large spools, and cones.
– For ease of selecting your desired thread weight, Aurifil spools are color coded. Red = 12wt, Gray = 28wt, Green = 40wt, Orange = 50wt, Yellow = Forty3, Wood = Floss, Cherry Wood = 80wt. Color coding the spools allows you to locate the desired weight and color at a glance without reading the label.
– Most weights are available in 270 luscious colors, with exception to 80wt (88 colors) and Forty3 (73 colors).
– Aurifil does offer a Wool 12wt thread in 192 colors and two shades of nylon monofilament.
Aurifil Product Guide | Aurifil Cotton Color Card | Wool Color Card | Aurifil Cotton Color Names