Designer: Amanda Brown
Finding just the right plant pots to fit our decor that also have proper drainage can be hard. A Quilted Plant Pot Cozy can help make almost any pot a pretty part of your decor!
Note: This pattern is based on a terracotta 4” tall pot with a circumference of 14.25”. If your 4” tall pot has a larger circumference you will need to adjust the measurements marked with *** below. Instructions follow to make a cozy for almost any sized plant pot.
~ If you have your planter sitting on a dish or tray that you want covered make sure it is smaller than the largest circumference of your planter.
- OLFA QR-6x12 6" x 12" Frosted Acrylic Ruler
- OLFA 45mm RTY-2/C Quick-Change Rotary Cutter, Aqua
- OLFA RM-MG/NBL 24"X36 Double-Sided, Self-Healing Rotary Mat, Navy
- OLFA 5-Inch SCS-4 Precision Appliqué Scissors
- Sewing machine
- Coordinating thread
- Marking tool
- (2) - 4.5” x 25”*** batting
- (1) - 4.5” x 25”*** backing
- Fat Quarter for top background fabric
- Various coordinating scraps (one at least 2.75”x 2.75”)
- Cut batting and backing to size listed in the materials
- Cut Top background fabric into the following:
- (2) 5” x 5.75”***
- (2) 2.25” x 15.75”***
- (4) 1.75” x 1.75”
- (4) 1.75” x 2.5”
- From Scraps cut the following:
- (1) 2.5” x 2.5” centre of star
- (8) 1.5” x 1.5” rays
- Take 1.5”x1.5” ray squares and draw one diagonal line on each from one corner to corner
- Lay one of these squares on top of a 1.75” x 2.5” background fabric lining up the bottom right hand corner and sew along drawn line (See Photo).
- Trim 1/4” from line and press open
- Attach another 1.5” x 1.5” square to the lower left hand corner (See Photo)
- Repeat for other three 1.75” x 2.5” units
Star Block Assembly
- Add 2 ray units (on opposite sides) to the 2.5”x 2.5” centre of star piece
- Add 1.75”x1.75” background square to each end of the remaining two of the Ray Units
- Add these to the centre of star piece to complete the star
Complete the top
- To the star add one 5” x 5.75” background fabric unit to opposite sides
- Add 2.25” x 15.75” background Fabric piece to top and bottom of the piece created above.
- Take top and fold and press each short edge towards the back 0.25”
- With the top right side down centre 2 layers of batting on top then lay backing on top of batting with right side facing up.
- Fold top and bottom 2” along the seam over the backing making sure to keep it tight and line up the short edges and pin in place (or baste using your favourite method)
- Densely quilt your sleeve in your favourite style. The quilting gives your sleeve structure.
- With right sides together line up short edges and sew together with a 1/4” seam allowance
- Press the seam open and top stitch seams down to keep the seam open.
- Turn right side out and slip your potted plant into the top
Other sized Pots
This will give you the measurements to recreate this project for any sized pot but with one fabric choice for the top, without a pieced star.
Batting and Backing
- width = height of pot + 0.25” (or how much taller you want the sleeve to be than your pot)
- length = circumference of block + .5” seam allowance
- Width = the same measurement as the batting and backing + 0.5”
- length = circumference of block + 1.5” (seam allowance and hem)
Top Fold over pieces (need 2):
- Width = 2.25”
- Length = length found for top middle above