Designer: Carla Peicheff
Finished size: 4.5 square
A fun fabric stash busting project using your favorite fabric scraps to make a set of “Scrappy Cottage Coasters”. Keep them for yourself or give as a gift!
OLFA CMP-3 Rotary Circle Cutter
OLFA 45mm RTY-2DX/PBL Ergonomic Rotary Cutter, Pacific Blue
OLFA RM-SG 18" x 24" Green Double-Sided, Self-Healing Rotary Mat
OLFA QR-4S 4 1/2" Square Frosted Acrylic Ruler
OLFA QR-6x12 6" x 12" Frosted Acrylic Ruler
OLFA 5-Inch SCS-4 Straight-Edge Stainless Steel Precision Scissors
Bamboo turning stick
Basic sewing supplies: Sewing machine, pins, thread.
FQ of linen
12 —100% cotton fabric scrap pieces ranging in size from 3”-5”
Lightweight fusible interfacing
- If needed iron your fabric scraps & linen.
- Cut your fabric scraps into the following sizes: 4 -3” squares, 4 -3.5” squares, 4 -4.5” squares.
- Cut lightweight interfacing into the same sized squares as fabric scraps above.
- Cut linen into 8 squares measuring 5” square.
- Cut four fusible fleece squares to measure 5”.
- Cut four squares of lightweight interfacing to 5” squares.
After your scrap fabric pieces have been interfaced (following manufacturer's instructions) take your circle cutter and cut the following circles with it:
- Set circle cutter to 1.25” and cut your 3” squares into circles.
- Set circle cutter to 1.5” and cut your 3.5” squares into circles.
- Set circle cutter to 2.0” and cut your 4.5” squares into circles.
PRO TIP -If you don’t get “perfect” circles or your cutter skips a bit here & there, don’t fret! Simply take your OLFA 5” scissors and snip where your cutter missed. It happens to the best of us! *wink*
Now layer your circles from smallest to largest on your interfaced linen squares. Pin if needed and sew from corner to corner forming an “X” to hold your circles in place.
Place your linen piece front to front so you see interfaced pieces facing outwards. Pin together and leave a 3” opening to flip as shown. Sew squares together, back stitching when you start & finish sewing.
Flip, press with iron, top stitch ¼” from the edge.