How to Make Underwear
Designer: Marcia Spencer
Making underwear is a great way to scrap bust some of your larger knit scraps! Also, using your scraps for something you know you will wear often is another plus. Follow my tutorial on how I use scrap mesh fabric to make a pair of mesh underwear
*You will need Madalynne FREE Noelle Panty pattern for this tutorial. See link below
Materials and Tools Needed:
- FREE Noelle DIY Underwear Sewing Pattern
- OLFA 5” precision scissors
- OLFA 45mm rotary cutter
- OLFA 24” x 36” Double sided Self Healing Rotary Mat
- ⅞ - 1 yard stretch knit or stretch fabric
- ⅛ yard or (remnant) cotton stretch knit
- 2 yards Fold over elastic (FOE)
- Sewing Machine
*lining is optional
* Use your OLFA cutting tools to cut out the two pattern pieces and panty gusset.
1. First, you can finish the front end (smaller edge) of gusset edge by folding it over and stitching or you can leave edge raw.
2. With right sides together, place the panty crotch edges together and then place the panty gusset right side to wrong side of panty back edge on top of that. (sandwiching the panty back between the gusset and pant front as shown in pic)
- Pin the crotch edges together. Stitch and trim seam.
- With right side down and gusset facing up, fold gusset over to panty front encasing the crotch seam. Baste gusset to panty front.
5. Cut two pieces of FOE the length of your panty waist edge, back and front. With the open end of the FOE, sandwich the edge of the waist line between the Elastic edges with right side of elastic out. Pin
6. Zig Zag stitch the elastic close to the edge being sure to catch all three layers evenly.
7. Now, cut two pieces of FOE the length of your panty leg edge. Repeat steps 5 & 6 for applying elastic to leg edge.
8. With wrong sides together pin panty sides together matching waistline and thigh opening evenly. Pin. Stitch.
9. You can finish edge with serger, zig zag stitch or leave it raw as the stretch knit will not fray!
Voila, You are Done! Wear and Enjoy.