Fun & Funky Christmas Quilt Block Series – Gift Block
Designer: Scott Hansen
Size or dimensions: 12 .5” x 12.5” unfinished block.
Skill level: Advanced Beginner or higher
Play along with Scott from the Blue Nickel Studios as he presents a mini-series of prescribed improv blocks between now and Christmas. Three of the blocks easily can be done for other holiday happenings, so they are not just limited to the Christmas Holiday.
Let’s get started on the third block – The Gift.
- OLFA RM-MG/NBL 24"X36 Double-Sided, Self-Healing Rotary Mat, Navy
- 45mm RTY-2C-RED Lori Holt Red Quick Change Rotary Cutter
- OLFA QR-6x24 6" X 24" Frosted Acrylic Ruler (for the larger cuts as needed)
- OLFA QR-6x12 6" X 12" Frosted Acrylic Ruler
- OLFA QR-12S 12 1/2" Square Frosted Acrylic Ruler
- Assorted Gift Wrap and Ribbon fabric scraps – A Fat Eighth’s worth is more than enough for one block.
- Assorted Background fabric scraps – A Fat Eighth’s worth is more than enough for one block.
- Sewing machine.
- Pencil or marking pen
- Pressing Surface
From Background Fabric cut:
- 2 – 3” x 3” Square A
- 2 – 3” x 10” Rectangle B
- 1 – 3” x 14” Rectangle C
- 1 – 2” x 14” Rectangle D
From Gift Fabric cut:
- A variety of fabric strips in 9” lengths and various widths.
- You will be creating a 8” x 9” Rectangle with these strips.
From Ribbon Fabric cut:
- 2 – 3” x 3” Square E
- 1 – 1.5” x 8” Strip F
1. Start by sewing your Gift Wrap strips together along the long 9” side as shown:
Trim this to 8” wide x 9” tall as shown:
If you have less time and like a particular fabric a lot – feel free to just cut a piece of this fabric 8” x 9” and move onto the next step.
- Cut this created rectangle down the middle and insert Strip F of Ribbon Fabric as shown:
- Draw a line on the wrong side of both Background A Squares:
- Take both A Squares and place right sides together with Ribbon E Squares. Sew a line ¼ inch from the drawn line, on both sides of the drawn line:
- Cut on the Drawn line. Press open the seams on all four resulting Half Square Triangles as shown:
- Sew all four of these A/E combos together as shown:
No need to worry about points matching at all. These are meant to be funky and free.
- Add the Ribbon section to the Gift Wrap section:
- Trim this to a reasonable ‘squarish/rectangularish’ shape no taller than 9.5”:
- Add Background B Rectangles to each side of the Gift section and trim even on the top and bottom.
- Add Background Strips C and D to the top and bottom of what you have done so far. (C or D can go on the top of bottom – whatever you prefer)
11.Final step is to trim the block to a 12.5” Square. You should have room to twist the block a bit to add some more wonkiness in.
* Finishing instructions > Create more Gift blocks in a variety of colors and make a runner or wall-hanging or combine with the Wreath Block, the Stocking Block, and the upcoming final block in this Fun and Funky Christmas Block series as you would any 12” finished block.