Download the full project here. Download now.
Try this project with the OLFA Slpash 45MM Rotary cutter.
Skill level 2 (confident beginner, with experience of round sewing)
6 fabric prints (used Minki Kim’s Winter Tale for Riley Blake)
Foam stabilizer such as Soft and Stable
Fusible webbing such as Light Steam A Seam 2
4 brads or double cap rivets
Seam allowances are 1/4’’ unless otherwise noted.
- Cut 2 – 2’’ x 44’’ strips of blue and red print and sew two strips together.
- Cut it into 16 – 2’’ x 3 1/2’’ blocks. Arrange opposite color way and join them to make 3 1/2’’ x 24 1/2’’ patchwork.
- Cut one (1) 2 1/4’’ x 24 1/2’’, one (1) 4 1/2’’ x 24 1/2’’ cream print.
- Sew small cream print to patchwork. Sew big cream print to patchwork. Now it measures 9’’ x 24 1/2’’.
- Cut 9’’ x 24 1/2’’ fusible web and fuse on the wrong side of basket exterior.
- Peel off paper backing and place on foam stabilizer. Fuse. If your foam stabilizer is wrinkled, press with steam. When pill off the backing paper, peel off little by little and press lightly to the fabric to prevent any wrinkles before fuse with iron.
- With the same manner, fuse the lining fabric on the other side of foam stabilizer.
- Cut one (1) 9’’ x 9’’ bottom print, one (1) 9’’ x 9’’ foam stabilizer, one (1) 9’’ x 9’’ lining.
- With same manner, Fuse bottom print and lining to foam stabilizer using fusible web.
- Trace the Basket template on the bottom unit and cut out the bottom circle.
- CHEK THE FIT. Join short raw ends to make a tube shape. When sew ends, place 9’’ x 1 1/2’’ lining strip on top RST.
- Fold a 1/4’’ of binding over to the seam to cover the raw edge. Topstitch in place. (You can also sew right next sew line just bind the seam instead of topstitch.)
- Take the bottom and the basket unit. Place them RST, matching up the seams and pin or clip in place together. Sew the basket exterior and the bottom together.
- Cut two (2) 1 1/2’’ x 22’’ binding strips.
- Bind the bottom unit and basket top.
- Cut two (2) 1/2’’ x 10’’ leather strips.
- Attach the leather handles on the basket using brads or double cap rivets.
- Press the basket with steam to shape nicely.
- Now you are ready to store your Christmas gifts in this darling basket!
Please read all instructions prior to beginning; read and follow all manufacturers’ instructions for all tools and materials used. Provide adult supervision if children participate in the and all craft projects. Because OLFA has no control over the use of materials and tools., nor surroundings, during construction of projects, OLFA disclaims any liability for injury, damage or other untoward results. Content of this project sheet is presented in good faith, but no warranty is given, nor results guaranteed.
Distributed through OLFA Class Project Program
© 2018 Corelle Brands LLC. All rights reserved. Foxy Ornament