Celebrate your family’s ancestry with this beautiful family tree quilt design. You’ll take pride as you create your personal family story in quilt. The quilt makes a meaningful gift for parents or grandparents as well as for children or grandchildren.
BEFORE YOU START
- Use 100% cotton fabric to make this project; wash and dry all pieces in advance so that you won’t have any issues with shrinkage or colors bleeding after you’ve sewn your quilt.
- All instructions assume a ¼” seam allowance.
- Finished quilt size is approximately 45” x 60”.
2 yds. Fusible web for applique
¾ yd. background fabric
¼ yd. each of (4) different green fabrics for round leaves
1 yd. brown fabric for tree, accent border, and binding
1-1/3 yd. of main border fabric
Scraps of fabric for birds
Basic sewing supplies
- Using rotary cutter, ruler and rotary mat, cut the following:
-From the background fabric, cut one large piece 25-1/2″ x 41-1/2″.
-From the main border, cut two strips 43-1/2″ x 9″, and two strips 45″ x 9″.
-From brown fabric, cut two strips 41-1/2″ x 1-1/2″, and two strips 27-1/2 x 1-1/2″ for accent border. Also cut five strips 41-1/2″ x WOF (width of fabric, approximately 45″) for the binding.
- Draw tree and bird applique designs on the fusible web, then iron fusible web onto the back of the appropriate fabrics (brown for the tree, other for the birds). Cut on drawn lines and set aside.
- Iron 9” strips of fusible web onto each of the green fabrics for the leaves.
- Using the circle cutter, cut out circles in a variety of sizes from the green fabrics. The circles on this quilt range from 1-7/8” to 5-1/2” in diameter, but you can adjust to your own taste.
- Begin assembly by adding accent border to the background fabric (reference image 1):
-Attach 47-1/2″ strips of brown fabric to the long sides of the background fabric.
-Attach 27-1/2″ strips of brown fabric to short sides of the background fabric.
- Add main border (reference image 2):
-Attach 43-1/2″ strips to long sides of the accent border.
-Attach 45″ strips to remaining sides of accent border.
- Lay out previously cut tree, leaf circles, and birds in the center of assembled quilt top as desired.
- When you are happy with the layout, peel paper off of the fusible web and fuse in place.
- Applique the design using your favorite method.
- Add batting, backing, and quilt as desired. Finish with binding.
TIPS FROM THE EXPERTS
- You can really make this your own design by varying the size, number, or color of circles used. Add more circles for a fuller look, or use reds, oranges, and yellows to make an autumn-inspired version.
- Personalize this quilt by labeling each circle with a family member’s name. Add more circles to represent additional family members, or use larger circles for adults and smaller circles for children.
- Use this family tree to represent past, present, and future. Welcome a new baby to the family, or make it as an extra special gift for grandparents.