Do you realize quilting has a whole month of celebration? And that March 16 is National Quilting Day? To spread the joy of quilting, we’ve asked our 2019 OLFA Creators design team two questions — what they have new coming out in the next few months, and what are their five favorite quilting tools are. Besides OLFA, of course! Read on to see what they have to say. Some of them are nothing like you’d expect!
Kristy Daum – instagram.com/kristydaum
What’s new: I’m releasing a new quilt pattern, ‘INTERSECTION’, in late March.
- WonderClips – I use them for keeping my project notes organized, as well as the fabric itself in some cases
- PaperMate Sharpwriter #2 pencil – I know very specific; but I’m obsessed with these pencils
- Graph Paper – Whether I’m sketching out an idea, writing notes, or doing math…it’s always close by
- Seam Ripper – For those times when things don’t always work out like they should
- Music – I know it’s not a traditional “tool”; but I listen to music constantly…especially when I’m in my studio
Natalie Barnes – beyondthereefpatterns.com
What’s new: We just launched “Homeward” fabrics for Windham Fabrics. And there are three new patterns out – Square Dance, Woven and Fractured! The next line of fabrics, Island Home, will launch on or about August, for Anthology Fabrics.
- Aurifil threads
- Janome HD3000 sewing machine
- Black ink pen and paper
- A marathon of “Murder She Wrote”
- A dog that has been on a 4 mile walk and will sleep a while
Randa Roberts – socomfydesigns.com
What’s new: An Etsy release and some beautiful custom bag before and afters! From leather jacket to custom bag(s).
- My industrial sewing machines
- Wonder clips for keeping layers of leather and other materials together when prepping to sew
- Hammers, mallets, & punches for rivet and snap setting
- Cardboard for drafting patterns (recycled cereal boxes)
- My iPhone 7 to photograph and post the finished result!
Pat Sloan – blog.patsloan.com
What’s new: My Pat Sloan’s Celebrate the Season’s Book is shipping in March. I also have Block 3 of my Out of this World free BOM.
- My Baby lock Solaris sewing machine
- Aurifil 50 wt thread for piecing and machine quilting
- Yummy fabric
- A thread catcher next to my sewing machine
- Some snazzy tunes playing on my Alexa
Cheryl Brickey – MeadowMistDesigns.blogspot.com
What’s new: On April 4th, I will be sharing the parade of quilts made by quilters participating in my Modern Plus Sampler. The Sampler is a lap sized quilt pattern that combines many of the blocks from my book Modern Plus Sign Quilts (Stash, Jan 2018).
- Bernina Sewing machine
- Machine sewing needles
- Iron & ironing board
- Fabric (though fabric might not be a tool)
Lee Chappell Monroe – MayChappell.com
What’s new: New patterns- April 1
- BERNINA Sewing Machine
- Sunflower Quilts Thread Cutter
- Aurifil Thread
- Oliso Iron
- Great fabric! Moda, FreeSpirit, Windham, Michael Miller
Carla Peicheff – facebook.com/CarlasCreationsest2013
What’s new: I’m working on a stack of gorgeous wallets this month! One of them is my own pattern, the “Slimline Wallet”.
- Hera Marker
- Pellon Interfacing
- JUKI TL2010Q sewing machine
- Inspiring fabric
- Frixion pens
Justin Stafford – Instagram.com/keatonquilts
What’s new: I’ll be teaching my Squareburst Quilt at Gotham Quilts in NYC on March 23rd – Sign up is here – https://gothamquilts.com/event/squareburst-keaton-quilts-3-23-2/
- Brother ScanNCutDX
- Sizzix FoldAway
- Aurifil thread
- My Original Scrapbox Workbox 3.0
- Violet Craft Seam Roller
Minki Kim – www.instagram.com/zeriano
What’s new: 1. My fabric line for Riley Blake Designs, SOMEDAY collection hits the stores in March. 2. My enamel pin designs for MakerPinCo will start to sell in March.
- LDH scissors
- Frixion pen
- Clover clips
- Slimline silicon mat
- Daylight lamp and lightbox
Scott Hansen – bluenickelstudios.com/shop
What’s new: Tree Time, Dot Code, and Sparkle are my newest digital PDF Patterns. My fabric line, ‘Ocean Park’ is arriving in stores now.
- White handled seam ripper from Clover
- Ring and flat mount thread cutters from ThreadCutterz
- Brother sewing machine
- Black and Decker iron
- Anything OLFA
Aside from a few sewing machines, most of the tool suggestions are very different! It’s exciting to see all the new products and ventures our OLFA Creators will have available, too. Keep up with our Creators on our blog (https://olfa.com/craft/blog ) where you’ll find their free patterns to download also.
Happy National Quilting Month!! Keep sewing!